According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne is the most common skin condition in the United States, affecting up to 50 million Americans annually. Acne can occur at any age but is most prevalent in teenagers and young adults. As well as feeling painful, the appearance of acne can wreak havoc on your self-esteem.
Acne is a common skin condition caused by several factors, including hormones, genetics, and even stress. If you’re one of the millions of Americans struggling with acne, you’re probably wondering what the best treatment options are.
Acne Treatment Options
Because there can be multiple underlying causes of acne, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. However, there are various practices and treatments that many people find effective.
Try these practices:
- Keep your skin clean using a mild soap or cleanser, and moisturize with a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer that won’t clog your pores. As oil and sweat from your skin can lead to breakouts, showering after strenuous activities is recommended.
- Avoid irritants like oily and greasy cosmetics and sunscreens.
- Protect your skin from the sun.
- Avoid friction and pressure on your acne-prone skin from helmet straps, tight collars, or backpacks.
- Do not pick at acne-prone skin.
Consider trying the following treatments:
- Topical medications applied to the skin can include antibiotics, retinoids, and anti-inflammatory drugs. You will need a prescription for these.
- Oral medications taken by mouth can include antibiotics, birth control pills, and isotretinoin. You will need a prescription for these also.
- Dermabrasion is a skin-resurfacing procedure that can help to improve the appearance of acne scars.
- Radio Frequency Microneedling is a procedure that stimulates the body to improve skin texture, and reduce acne scars and pitting.
- Chemical peels use a solution to remove the top layer of skin, which can help to unclog pores and reduce inflammation.
- Ultralight therapy is a machine that uses healing spectrums of Blue, Green, and Red Light to stimulate healing. At Health Expressions we customize programs to help reduce active acne and acne scarring.
IPL Photofacial treatments use pulses of light energy to destroy the cells responsible for acne and stimulate collagen production.
IPL Photofacial Treatments for Acne
Our team at Health Expressions takes a comprehensive approach to acne treatments. We offer various services, including IPL photofacial treatments, to help you achieve clearer skin.
What Is IPL?
IPL (intense pulsed light) therapy is a treatment that uses pulses of light to target and destroy the bacteria that causes acne. IPL treatment can be used in conjunction with other treatments, such as topical creams, oral medications, or Ultralight therapy.
IPL works by targeting the pigmentation in the skin that causes acne. The light is converted into heat, destroying bacteria without damaging the surrounding tissue. This process makes IPL an ideal treatment if you have sensitive skin and are looking for an alternative to more aggressive treatments, such as laser treatment.
The IPL Procedure
During treatment, a device is placed against your skin, and pulses of light are emitted. Most people report feeling mild warmth or tingling during the treatment. The treatment usually takes 10-15 minutes to complete, depending on the size of the area being treated. You may need 4-6 sessions once a week to achieve desired results. Some people see a significant improvement after just three or four sessions, but some may need more, depending on the severity of their acne.
One of the great things about IPL is that there is no downtime; you can go about your normal activities immediately after your session.
Take Action Against Acne!
If you’re ready to take action against your acne, book an appointment with Health Expressions. We offer a variety of acne treatments, including IPL therapy, that can help you achieve clear skin.
The team at Health Expressions will assess your skin and recommend the best course of treatment. IPL is safe for all skin types and can be used on the face and body. If other acne treatments have left you unsatisfied, we are here to help. For acne treatment in Rochester, NY, call us at (585) 794-9865 or complete the online booking form.