If you have been suffering from heel pain and discomfort due to plantar fasciitis, you know how debilitating it can be. Plantar fasciitis is a common cause of foot pain that affects millions of people each year. Conservative treatment options such as rest, stretching, icing the affected area, and taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may provide some relief but do not always address the underlying issue.
Fortunately, there are other treatments available that can help to reduce your symptoms without relying on medications or invasive procedures. One such option is shock wave therapy for plantar fasciitis, which has shown promising results in treating this condition naturally and effectively. In this blog post, we will discuss what shock wave therapy is, its benefits and side effects, and why it could be a good choice for those looking for an alternative treatment option for their plantar fasciitis pain.
What is Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the plantar fascia, the thick band of tissue that supports the arch of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes. This condition can cause sharp pains in the heel and arch when walking, making it difficult and extremely painful for sufferers.
Common Symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis
The most common symptom of plantar fasciitis is heel pain, which can range from mild discomfort to severe and debilitating. Other signs may include burning sensations in the arch or heel area, swelling of the foot, tenderness when walking or standing for extended periods of time, stiffness in the morning, and difficulty bending the foot.
Causes of Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar fasciitis is often caused by overuse, excessive stretching, or prolonged periods of standing. Poor footwear and/or an incorrect walking gait can also contribute to the development of this condition. As such, wearing supportive shoes with good arch support and maintaining correct posture when walking or running is important.
- Rest and stretching: Resting your feet and ankles and stretching the affected area can help to relieve some of the pain associated with plantar fasciitis.
- Medication/ NSAIDs: Taking over-the-counter pain relievers can help reduce inflammation and temporarily relieve symptoms.
- Orthotics and shoe inserts: Orthotics and shoe inserts can help to provide additional support for the foot and redistribute pressure, reducing pain.
- Steroid injections: Steroid injections reduce inflammation and provide relief from pain in the short term. The steroid is injected directly into the heel for fast pain relief.
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy: Shock wave therapy has proven to be an effective treatment for chronic plantar fasciitis, relieving pain and improving mobility without surgery or medication.
Benefits of Shock Wave Therapy
Shock wave therapy treats musculoskeletal conditions such as chronic tendon pain, tennis elbow, and plantar fasciitis. This treatment stimulates healing by delivering small doses of pulsed acoustic waves to the affected area. This energy stimulates blood flow in the area, which helps to speed up the healing process and reduce inflammation.
Benefits of shock wave therapy include:
- Non-invasive procedure: Shock wave therapy is non-invasive and does not require surgery or medications to be effective. Patients report that the treatment is relatively painless, with the sensation likened to a massage.
- Stimulates the body’s natural healing process: Shock wave therapy helps to stimulate the body’s natural healing process by increasing the production of collagen and elastin, regenerating tissue, and improving blood flow in the area.
- Reduced recovery time: Shock wave therapy can help to reduce recovery time after an injury or surgery as it helps to improve the range of motion and mobility in the affected area.
- Can be combined with other treatments: Shock wave therapy can be combined with other treatments such as physical therapy, stretching, and orthotics for even better results.
- Reduced need for medications or surgery: Shock wave therapy can help to reduce the need for medications or surgery, significantly reducing costs and side effects.
Get Treatment For Plantar Fasciitis Today
At Health Expressions, we offer shock wave therapy as a treatment option for plantar fasciitis. Our experienced team of professionals can provide you with an individualized plan tailored to your needs. If you are searching for shock wave therapy near me, or would like more information about our shock wave therapy treatments, please contact us today at (301) 244-4717 or complete the online booking form.
For pain management Rochester, NY, visit 115 Sullys Trail #4 Pittsford, NY 14534
For pain management Rockville, MD, visit 100 Park Ave #108A Rockville, MD 20850